Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has declared that winger Bukayo Saka is in contention to start in their Super Sunday clash with Manchester City.
The England international took a serious knock in their Champions League loss to Ligue 1 strugglers RC Lens. The injury compounded a terrible night for the Gunners in Europe.
Saka had to be taken off in the first half, suffering an injury without anyone around him, leaving Arsenal fans concerned ahead of a crucial clash against the Premier League champions.
Arteta, who has come under criticism for not resting Saka, said they will monitor his progress between now and Sunday before making a decision.
Despite the knock, England manager Gareth Southgate called Saka up for their latest round of international games.
When asked about Saka’s status, Arteta said (via football.london): “Well, he is in contention. Let us see how he progresses from here to Sunday.
“He had to leave the pitch. That is never good news, but let us see how he recovers.
Arteta refused to disclose the nature of the injury and would not elaborate when asked about Saka’s England call-up.
“I have spoken to Gareth on several occasions,” Arteta added. “I have to do my job and give him the news.
“He needs to make the best decision for the national team. I am not going to get involved there.”
Arteta gave further updates on his squad, announcing that midfielder Thomas Partey, who has been out for over a month, is ahead of schedule.
The Spaniard said they wanted Partey in the Lens match, but there were other priorities.
The former Manchester City assistant will hope to have the talismanic Saka for the pivotal Sunday clash, and Partey’s return could also give them a boost.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray