Rangers are considering Frank Lampard as a potential candidate for their vacant managerial position, according to talkSPORT.
Lampard has been out of work since his short-term contract with Chelsea expired in May. He was recently interviewed by Rangers’ top decision-makers about the position.
The 45-year-old’s second coming at Stamford Bridge didn’t go according to script, with the Blues recording only one victory in his 11 games in charge, leading to the club’s worst Premier League finish since 1994.
The search for a new manager began for the Teddy Bears after Michael Beale was dismissed from his role last Sunday.
The decision followed a disappointing 3-1 home defeat to Aberdeen, leaving Rangers trailing Celtic by seven points in the Scottish Premiership title race.
Rangers midfielder Steven Davis has been given the job on an interim basis but is unlikely to take on the position permanently due to his continued playing career.
AZ Alkmaar’s Pascal Jansen, Ex-AS Monaco manager Philippe Clement and former Rangers man Kevin Muscat are the other managerial names in the frame.
Frank Lampard has expressed his willingness to return to management if the right opportunity arises. He is open to the Rangers job and has previously waxed lyrical about the Scottish giants.
Former Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan has expressed reservations about Lampard’s ability to turn the club’s fortunes around and has urged Rangers to dismiss the idea of appointing him.
Rangers are expected to conduct further discussions with potential candidates before making a final decision.
Rangers’ need for a new manager is becoming increasingly pressing, considering they recently suffered another defeat – this time against Aris Limassol in the Europa League.
The club currently sits third in Europa League Group C and shares an identical ranking in the Premiership table.
- Overrated & Underrated in 2023 – Aston Villa, Arsenal, Liverpool and more
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree