Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe remains focused on the long road ahead despite the euphoria following their 4-1 victory over Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.
Speaking on the second anniversary of the club’s Saudi Arabian-led takeover, Howe expressed chairman Yasir Al Rumayyan’s ambition to make Newcastle the world’s ‘number one club’.
However, he emphasised the need for patience and hard work to achieve this lofty goal.
Howe said (via the Daily Mail): “I would urge caution and calmness because we have not proven anything.
“The season is so early, and a couple of weeks ago, the feeling was very different.”
Newcastle’s recent success has come after a challenging start to the season, including three consecutive defeats.
Despite a significant investment of around £350 million in new players since the takeover, three of the goal scorers against PSG – Miguel Almiron, Sean Longstaff and Fabian Schar – were already at the club.
Howe highlighted the importance of building solid relationships with the new and inherited players, stating that while money plays a part in their success, it is not the whole story.
Newcastle’s incredible journey under Howe has seen them rise from 19th place in the Premier League to their recent triumph over PSG.
However, Howe remains focused on the future, emphasising that becoming the world’s number one club will take time, excellent decision-making, and consistent hard work.
As Howe approaches his second anniversary as Newcastle’s manager, he reflected on the significance of the role in his life.
“I knew when I was offered the job that it was a life-changing moment for me,” he added.
“Thankfully, it has been a great journey so far. I have loved every second of it.”
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray