Jamaica’s persistent efforts to convince Mitchell to switch his international allegiance have seemingly made headway.
England manager Gareth Southgate raised eyebrows when he decided not to include a natural left-back in the squad for the upcoming matches against Australia and Italy.
This surprising decision was prompted by an injury crisis in the left-back position, leaving the Three Lions boss with a dilemma.
The role will likely be filled by Newcastle’s Kieran Trippier, who primarily operates as a right-back.
Chelsea defender Levi Colwill has been utilised as a left-back by his club this season. Southgate confirmed that he is under consideration for the position.
In the previous squad announced in September, Southgate opted for Chelsea’s Ben Chilwell at left-back.
Despite all these issues, Southgate did not find space for Mitchell in the squad.
Mitchell earned a place in Southgate’s squad in March 2022, featuring in friendly matches against Switzerland and Ivory Coast.
However, he has not received another call-up since then. Mitchell remains eligible to switch allegiance, as his England appearances were in friendly fixtures.
Jamaica recently convinced England-eligible players to represent their national team, with Ethan Pinnock, Michail Antonio and Demarai Gray making the switch.
The Reggae Boyz hope to add another talented player to their ranks, further strengthening their squad.
The decision now lies in Mitchell’s hands as he evaluates his options on the international stage.
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups