Former France international Frank Leboeuf has labelled Chelsea as a mid-table club and warned the fans against dreaming about making the top four spots this season.
Chelsea have secured back-to-back victories, with fans optimistic that they have been able to kickstart their campaign.
The Blues had only one win against Luton Town from their first six Premier League games, leaving them 14th in the Premier League.
However, they sealed a 1-0 win over Brighton & Hove Albion in the League Cup and a 2-0 win over Fulham in their last league game to climb to 11th in the table.
Chelsea players appear to be gelling, but Leboeuf has warned fans about having high hopes.
Leboeuf told talkSPORT: “Right now, Chelsea is a mid-table club. You have to be realistic. You have to stop dreaming.”
He said that while the recent results are good, the real test will be when Chelsea go head-to-head with Arsenal on October 21.
They play Burnley this weekend before facing the Gunners, Brentford, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City, Newcastle United, Brighton and Manchester United after the international break.
Leboeuf added: “Some fans are expecting to finish in the top four. I have to say they are dreamers.”
While Leboeuf’s words may sting the ego of the Stamford Bridge faithful, the former Marseille defender is right.
The recent results are great, but Chelsea’s finishing woes could still be problematic.
They have improved in defence, where they have kept the most clean sheets in the Premier League this season.
However, they will need to up their game considerably to have any chance of challenging for a top-four finish.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?