The United Kingdom and Ireland look set to be confirmed as hosts for the 2028 European Championship after Turkey submitted a bid to stage the 2032 edition.
Turkey was in the running to host Euro 2028, but their joint bid for the 2032 tournament leaves the UK and Ireland as the only bidders for the former event.
“The UEFA administration has today written to both associations to confirm that their joint bid has been duly received and will go forward for assessment and consideration by the UEFA Executive Committee,” read the UEFA statement.
“The award of both tournaments still requires the approval of the Executive Committee at its meeting in Nyon on October 10.
“The presentations at that meeting will be an important part of the process which will take due consideration of the content of the bid submissions before reaching a decision.”
The UK and Ireland look set to host the Euro 2028 across ten stadiums, with Wembley Stadium, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and the Etihad Stadium among the notable venues.
Turkey successfully staged last season’s Champions League final between Manchester City and Inter Milan at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul.
If their joint bid with Italy receives the green light, the country will host its first-ever major international tournament.
Italy previously served as the host nation to the European Championships in 1968 and 1980.
The upcoming Euro 2024 tournament will be held in Germany and is scheduled to be played between June 14 and July 14 next year.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?