The Scottish Football Association (FA) have confirmed that Leeds United defender Liam Cooper has earned a recall to the Scotland squad ahead of their 2024 European Championship qualifier fixture against Spain.
The Lilywhites captain has built up a head of steam after missing the opening part of the Championship campaign with a foot injury.
Cooper picked up the knock in the second half of Leeds’ 2-2 draw against Cardiff City in their opening game of the 2023/24 Championship season.
He missed the subsequent seven fixtures across all competitions before making his comeback in the goalless draw against Hull City, replacing summer signing Joel Piroe in the 62nd minute.
Cooper has started Leeds’ last two games, lasting until full time in each fixture, boosting his chances of playing a part in Scotland’s outing against Spain.
The Tartan Army will be hoping to continue their exceptional form in the Euro 2024 qualifiers, boasting a perfect record ahead of their trip to Seville.
Steve Clarke’s side have picked up all 15 points from five games while rippling the back of the net 12 times and conceding just one goal.
They already got the better of Spain back in March, running out 2-0 winners on home turf, courtesy of a brace from Manchester United ace Scott McTominay.
They will unsurprisingly fancy their chances of doing the double over the three-time European champions, but they only need a point in Seville to seal a place in the Euro 2024 tournament in Germany next year.
James has yet to open his goalscoring account for Daniel Farke’s side this season but has been crucial to their promotion bid, returning four assists in seven Championship games.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?