One of the most controversial moments of the game saw Diaz slip past the Spurs’ defence, receiving a perfectly timed pass from Mohamed Salah before clinically slotting the ball into the back of the net just beyond the half-hour mark.
However, the jubilation was short-lived as the assistant referee raised the offside flag.
VAR officials Darren England and assistant Dan Cook conducted a review of the incident. They confirmed that the original call was erroneous and that Diaz was onside.
However, the on-field ruling stood, leaving Liverpool disadvantaged and fuelling a VAR debate.
PGMOL admitted to a ‘significant human error’ and apologised to Liverpool, but that wasn’t enough for the Reds. They demanded audio recordings of the communication between the on-field referee and the VAR.
Klopp, in his press conference ahead of Liverpool’s forthcoming Europa League clash with Royale Union Saint-Gilloise, said: “I’m not really interested in the audio, but it is essential that this matter is dealt with correctly.”
The Liverpool manager was quick to acknowledge that the officials responsible did not intentionally deprive his team of victory but fell victim to a grave error in judgment.
Klopp wants the authorities to consider a replay, adding: “All of the people involved, the on-field referee, linesman, fourth official and VAR – they didn’t do that on purpose. It was a mistake.
“I think the outcome should be a replay. That probably won’t happen. The argument against is that everyone will ask for them, but this situation is so unprecedented.”
There have been repercussions in the aftermath of this controversial VAR decision. The officials involved in the incident have been benched for the upcoming weekend’s fixtures.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray