Charles Ebersol, co-founder of Tempus ex Machina, the parent company of new Chelsea sponsor Infinite Athlete, discussed how the deal valued at £40 million came into place.
Ebersol revealed that he had known Chelsea co-owner Todd Boehly for a while and had been discussing different operations with him and Clearlake Capital co-founder Behdad Eghbali before they settled on a front-of-shirt sponsorship deal.
He disclosed that Boehly had been monitoring what they had done with fan experience in the NFL and welcomed them to create the same for Chelsea’s 5th Stand app over the summer.
Ebersol revealed that the numbers recorded were mind-blowing and they created a structure that allows Chelsea to build on it and take the fan experience to new heights.
When Chelsea began looking for a new front of shirt sponsors following the expiration of their deal with UK telecommunication giants Three, Infinite Athlete decided to propose a partnership.
In an interview with football journalist Ben Jacobs, Ebersol said (via Soccerex TV): “We literally had lunch in Philadelphia two days later (after floating the idea of Infinite Athlete’s sponsorship) and sort of hammered out what that would look like between Behdad and Todd and I.
“We went to the Premier League – who we are also building some stuff for them to look at – and asked ‘Would this be crazy?’ ‘Would this be something that would be worth doing?’
“We started working out what that would be like, but it took us a while to figure out the framework of the deal to make sense, but really, the goal was for the world to be introduced to this new brand.”
Ebersol was happy that Infinite Athlete had their emblem on the women’s team kits and they beat Tottenham Hotspur.
- Bundesliga Weekly: Dortmund & Leverkusen share the spoils, Leipzig re-enter the title race
- Man United to ratify Sir Jim Ratcliffe stake purchase next week
- Newcastle’s top four hopes take huge hit with Nick Pope out for five months
- Stats prove Man City’s Rodri has been far better than Arsenal’s Declan Rice this season
- Manchester City’s title defence gets tougher as Arsenal and Liverpool soar
- Euro 2024 Power Rankings – Who are the early favourites in Germany?
- FA Cup third round draw: Arsenal face Liverpool, Tottenham host Burnley
- European Championship 2024 draw: England, Scotland, France & Germany discover group stage opponents
- Can Salah close the gap on Haaland in the Premier League Golden Boot race?
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager