Bayer Leverkusen’s talented full-back Jeremie Frimpong is closing in on a contract extension with the German giants amid interest from Europe’s top clubs, reports Italian transfer expert Fabrizio Romano.
However, a transfer never materialised as he ended up staying at Bay Arena to continue his development under Xabi Alonso.
Frimpong recently commented he was open to staying with the Die Werkself for a long time, and he is now edging closer towards committing his future by penning a new deal.
The 22-year-old has given the green light for a new deal until 2028, with his current contract expiring in 2025.
A key cog in Alonso’s exciting set-up, Frimpong amassed nine goals and 11 assists in all competitions last term, an eye-catching return for a wing-back.
The Dutch youngster has continued his fine form this season, racking up two goals and three assists to help Leverkusen climb to the top of the Bundesliga.
Leverkusen have already shown that they can rival Bayern Munich for the league title, and Frimpong will be pivotal to their challenge.
Man Utd and Arsenal were constantly linked with Frimpong during the summer, but their interest never translated into concrete negotiations.
Previously valued at €40 million, Frimpong’s value will only soar if his form continues its upward trend.
Leverkusen will look to continue their unbeaten run this season when they face Molde in the Europa League group stage on Thursday.
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups