Former Rangers defender Kevin Muscat has thrown his hat into the ring for the managerial vacancy at Ibrox.
Muscat is keen to discuss the possibility of taking over as the new manager of the Scottish giants, according to talkSPORT,
The managerial position became vacant following the dismissal of Michael Beale, whose tenure was marred by a string of disappointing results, including a 3-1 defeat to Aberdeen over the weekend.
This latest loss left Rangers trailing their arch-rivals Celtic by seven points in the Scottish Premiership, adding immense pressure to Beale’s already uncertain future.
Rangers chairman John Bennett expressed gratitude for Beale’s contributions to the club before promptly initiating the search for a new manager.
Muscat has emerged as a prominent figure. He played for Rangers from 2002 to 2003, making 24 appearances during his time with the club.
He is currently the head coach of Japanese club Yokohama F Marinos, where he has won the league title to bolster his credentials.
Muscat succeeded Ange Postecoglou when the now Tottenham Hotspur manager took the reins at Celtic.
His previous managerial experience includes a stint with Melbourne Victory, where he won the Australian A-League.
AZ Alkmaar’s Pascal Jansen has also expressed a desire for the role.
Jansen, whose side currently sits second in the Eredivisie, would bring a fresh perspective to the club.
Graham Potter, initially linked to the position, has ruled himself out of contention. His decision narrows the field of potential candidates.
The club’s hierarchy now faces the pivotal task of choosing the individual who will guide Rangers back to success in the Scottish Premiership.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray