Cristian Romero has delivered a brutal response to Alexis Mac Allister after he claimed Tottenham Hotspur beat Liverpool with 12 players.
The Reds looked to be in the ascendancy in Saturday’s away encounter before Curtis Jones received a red card in the 26th minute.
Despite their numerical inferiority, Luis Diaz scored only for the goal to be ruled out for offside.
Cody Gakpo’s equaliser just before the break and their resolute defending in the second half kept Liverpool in with a chance of snatching a point.
However, an own-goal from Joel Matip in the injury-time after Diogo Jota’s red card condemned Jurgen Klopp’s side to a 2-1 defeat.
Referees’ body PGMOL later admitted the decision to disallow Diaz’s goal was incorrect.
“PGMOL acknowledges a significant human error occurred,” their statement read (as per BBC Sport). “PGMOL will conduct a full review.”
Following Tottenham’s victory, Romero posted on Instagram: “This team has great spirit, great heart, always like this, all together.”
Liverpool’s Mac Allister responded by suggesting Spurs were helped by the officials. He said: “Normal when you have 12 players.”
Romero hit back with a brutal reply: “Cry at home.”
The Reds have slipped to fourth place in the Premier League standings following the latest setback, while Ange Postecoglou’s side are just a point behind leaders Manchester City in second.
Jurgen Klopp’s side fought bravely at Tottenham and deserved at least a point.
The controversial refereeing decisions played a part in their loss, with the PGMOL admitting their mistake over the disallowed goal.
However, the Reds cannot dwell too long with their Europa League fixture with Union Saint-Gilloise coming up on Thursday.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray