It’s Friday again which means it’s time for ‘Morning Mix’ – our weekly football column with a bit of music thrown in for good measure.
We look at two major talking points for the weekend ahead and point you in the direction of some of the best football stories elsewhere on the internet.
We also offer a top tune recommendation to get you in the mood for the weekend and what to watch out for over the coming days. Let’s get this show on the road.
Fans get a bum deal from the police
Several mainstream media outlets predictably pushed their ‘anti-football fan’ agenda in midweek following the release of government figures on football-related arrests.
The BBC screamed about ‘worrying numbers’ on social media before someone recognised that government reports often need to be taken with a pinch of salt and deleted the post.
They were no doubt helped along by legal minds close to the issue who pointed out that football fans get treated differently by the police than those in other sports.
Sensationalist and inaccurate reporting about football fans? We’ve been here before, haven’t we?
Chelsea switch on the cards for Sterling
With Nicolas Jackson suspended and Armando Broja a risky option following his recent return from injury, Pochettino will need to be creative.
Raheem Sterling has been one of Chelsea’s better players this season and could be an option to play through the middle at Craven Cottage.
Sterling has noticeably been more aggressive with the ball this season – switching him into the middle could result in him causing mayhem on Monday.
The week that was
Are you looking for the best football stories from the past week? Check these out:
- Xabi Alonso and why everyone wants Bayer Leverkusen head coach.
- Steel pity: rock-bottom United and Wednesday share the pain in Sheffield.
- How TikTok has ruined Napoli, Victor Osimhen relationship.
Today’s top tune
We’re taking a slight diversion for our music shout-out this week to give a plug to a man we’ve somehow never previously featured on Football Today.
Tickets for Joe Carnall Jnr’s annual Christmas bash in Sheffield go on sale this morning. There’s no better way to kick off the festive period!
What to watch this week
Manchester City don’t lose very often, so their midweek cup defeat at Newcastle United would have been a shock to the system.
Expect a response at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.
A final Morning Mix thought
If Burnley lose at Newcastle United on Saturday, will it be too early to start asking questions about Vincent Kompany’s future as manager after the club spent around £100 million this summer?
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups