Chelsea left-back Ben Chilwell is expected to be sidelined for four weeks due to a hamstring issue, although initial assessments have alleviated concerns of a more severe injury.
The Evening Standard reports that the 26-year-old defender’s scan was rescheduled for later today after he limped off the field during Chelsea’s 1-0 League Cup victory over Brighton & Hove Albion on Wednesday.
While a four-week absence is considered a positive outcome, there are wider concerns regarding the defender, who has now suffered his third hamstring injury since the beginning of the last season.
Marc Cucurella and Ian Maatsen are in line to replace Chilwell at left-back for Monday’s derby clash against Fulham, and it will be interesting to see which of them gets the nod.
Both players have made the headlines during the week amid uncertainty over their long-term future at Stamford Bridge, and January exits could be on the cards for the pair.
Cucurella is up for sale after struggling for playing time, although he was crucial to Wednesday’s win over Brighton despite slotting in at right back to cover for the absent Reece James and Malo Gusto.
Pochettino has shown a preference for Maatsen up to this point, but Chelsea may be compelled to entertain offers for his services if there is no improvement in his contract situation before the winter market arrives.
The manager now has to deal with a growing injury list, with nine players currently confined to the treatment room, while Malo Gusto and Nicolas Jackson will sit out the Fulham trip due to suspension.
Chelsea head to Fulham looking for only their second Premier League win of the season, and they will have to do so without a host of key players.
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups