The exciting news was revealed in Cairo, Egypt, by the President of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), Patrice Motsepe, solidifying Morocco’s dream of staging a major international football competition.
Motsepe expressed his pride in Morocco, hailing the country’s commitment to the beautiful game.
One significant aspect of Morocco’s successful bid is its strategic alliance with Spain and Portugal to jointly host the 2030 FIFA World Cup – a partnership the CAF endorses.
In the final hours leading up to the announcement, all other prospective host nations withdrew their applications, including the Benin-Nigeria duo and Zambia, despite their initial intentions to compete.
Algeria, initially considered a strong contender, also withdrew its candidacy.
The Algerian Football Federation (FAF) attributed this decision to a new football development strategy in Algeria, as outlined in a press release coincidentally published on the same day that Walid Sadi assumed the presidency of FAF.
The decision to entrust Morocco with the 2025 AFCON assumes an added layer of symbolism following the devastating earthquake that struck the nation in early September, claiming the lives of nearly 3,000 people.
Guinea, the originally designated host, withdrew due to its lack of preparedness to organise the tournament.
Initially, the press conference in Cairo was meant to reveal the host nation for the 2027 AFCON.
Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda emerged as the triumphant trio selected to host the 2027 edition, prevailing over Senegal, the reigning AFCON champions.
With the 2025 AFCON now set to grace Moroccan shores, football enthusiasts worldwide can anticipate a dazzling tournament infused with the rich culture and passionate spirit the nation brings to the global football stage.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch