Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold has returned to first-team training for the club after recovering from his hamstring injury.
The 24-year-old right-back has been absent from the club’s last few games since their win over Aston Villa earlier this month.
However, Alexander-Arnold joined his teammates in their session yesterday, although it is unclear if he is ready to start or receive any playing time tomorrow.
Ahead of their League Cup clash with Leicester City, Liverpool assistant coach Pepijn Lijnders delivered a positive update on the player’s situation.
Lijnders said (via Liverpool’s official website): “Trent trained yesterday with us, but it was just in the rondo and the ball possession with the counter-pressing, but he was outstanding.
“You see him instantly, of course. He is with the team training. I am not sure if he will be ready. We will see today.”
Lijnders also praised Joe Gomez for stepping in to fill the right-back role in the absence of the Liverpool vice-captain. The coach acknowledged that it was a difficult task but one that Gomez did well.
He also discussed Thiago Alcantara, who is Liverpool’s only other injury concern, saying his recovery is going well.
Liverpool have started the season in terrific fashion, starting the season the way they ended the last one.
Following an opening day draw against Chelsea, the Reds have won five consecutive Premier League games.
The Merseyside club are second in the Premier League and appear formidable enough to challenge Manchester City for the title.
They have also started their Europa League campaign with a 3-1 victory over LASK in Linz and lead their group.
Liverpool will hope for victory against Leicester tomorrow as they bid to advance to the next round of the cup.
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch