Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson believes Arsenal need to sign Ivan Toney if they want to claim Premier League glory this season.
The Gunners came close to ending Manchester City’s dominance in the English top flight last term, but a late collapse saw their rivals comfortably sealing the title in the end.
Mikel Arteta’s side have twice dropped points this campaign, with Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur their latest stalemate.
Paul Merson believes that Arsenal need to sign Brentford star Ivan Toney if they want to win the Premier League title.
He doesn’t think Eddie Nketiah is the man to take them to the next level and is of the same opinion about Gabriel Jesus, who played on the wing on Sunday.
“I’ve always said it from day one – Eddie Nketiah is not going to win you the Premier League,” he told Sky Sports. “You need a proper centre forward.
“I’m not blaming Nketiah because they drew 2-2 with Tottenham but with 32 games to go and all the Champions League games they have to play, I don’t think he takes them to the next level. I don’t even think Gabriel Jesus takes them to the next level.
“It’s alright sitting there and thinking ‘they need a centre forward’ – but who is there?
“Only Ivan Toney is available for them in January – there aren’t many centre forwards around in the world. They’re a dying breed.
“I heard Michael Owen chatting the other day. Years ago you had him, Alan Shearer, Teddy Sheringham and Robbie Fowler getting 20 to 30 goals a season and they didn’t get a million England caps. Ian Wright and Les Ferdinand too. Now you get to Premier League goals and you play for England.
“Toney is a good player – he can hold the ball up, he’s good in the air. Arsenal might have to go for him. But there are not a million centre forwards around.”
Arsenal undoubtedly need a better striker than Nketiah.
If the Gunners have title aspirations, they must sign a prolific goalscorer.
Nketiah scored four Premier League goals last season, while he has netted only two this term.
By contrast, City striker Erling Braut Haaland has already netted eight top-flight goals.
The problem for Arsenal is there aren’t forwards like Haaland available in the market. Ivan Toney is their best option in January.
- Bundesliga Weekly: Dortmund & Leverkusen share the spoils, Leipzig re-enter the title race
- Man United to ratify Sir Jim Ratcliffe stake purchase next week
- Manchester United’s disturbing trend – repeated failures against top Premier League contenders
- Newcastle’s top four hopes take huge hit with Nick Pope out for five months
- Stats prove Man City’s Rodri has been far better than Arsenal’s Declan Rice this season
- Manchester City’s title defence gets tougher as Arsenal and Liverpool soar
- Euro 2024 Power Rankings – Who are the early favourites in Germany?
- FA Cup third round draw: Arsenal face Liverpool, Tottenham host Burnley
- European Championship 2024 draw: England, Scotland, France & Germany discover group stage opponents
- Can Salah close the gap on Haaland in the Premier League Golden Boot race?