The Magpies boss revealed that the player sustained a ‘quite substantial’ foot injury during their recent 8-0 win over Sheffield United.
The 25-year-old was forced to exit the field just 11 minutes into the game at Bramall Lane and Anthony Gordon replaced him.
Discussions are now underway to determine whether surgery will be necessary and what the timeline for his recovery might look like.
Howe expressed his unease over the situation, characterising the injury as ‘very unusual’ and expressing fears that Barnes could be sidelined for an extended period pending the results of medical scans.
He said (via Sky Sports): “He was down after the game because I think he knew it wasn’t your normal injury.
“If you feel a muscle, you tend to think it will be one or two weeks, but this was a slightly more complex issue, and I think he probably feared the worst because there was nobody around him.”
Howe assured fans and supporters of Barnes that the club would provide unwavering support during his recovery.
“We know he’s a top-quality player who still has a massive part to play,” Howe added.
Barnes joined Newcastle from Leicester City during the summer transfer window and has featured in seven matches across all competitions, registering one goal and one assist. The injury is a massive blow to the player and the club.
Supporters will hope for a swift and successful recovery for the talented winger, whose presence on the pitch will undoubtedly be missed in the coming months as they challenge on multiple fronts.
Newcastle’s next challenge will see them face Manchester City in the League Cup at St James’ Park tomorrow evening.
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager
- This Week In Football: Dortmund conquer the group of death, Tigres lift sixth title in six years & more
- Big update on ‘excellent’ Arsenal star, agreement ‘expected’ in due course
- Top 10 football predictions for 2024
- Preview: Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Maguire & Sterling nominated for November Premier League POTM award
- Ten Hag, Howe, Iraola, Edwards up for Premier League MOTM award
- Man City FFP trial scheduled for late next year
- Three positives from Manchester United’s disappointing 3-3 draw against Galatasaray