English midfielder Jesse Lingard is currently undergoing training with Al-Ettifaq as he eyes a permanent move to the Saudi Pro League.
However, his financial demands are proving to be a stumbling block, per talkSPORT.
The 30-year-old’s contract with Nottingham Forest expired at the end of last season, leaving him without a club. He is now seeking new opportunities.
Lingard has been favouring a move to Saudi Arabia throughout the summer, and it seems he’s one step closer to realising that ambition.
Manager Steven Gerrard has shown a keen interest in bringing the midfielder into his squad, provided everything proceeds smoothly.
The potential transfer is now hanging in the balance as reports indicate a significant disparity between Lingard’s wage demands and Al-Ettifaq’s budget.
The midfielder reportedly wants an annual salary of £7 million, whereas the club’s budget stands closer to £4.35m. Negotiations will be pivotal in bridging this financial gap.
They also added Moussa Dembele, Jack Hendry and Georginio Wijnaldum from European sides, but they are keen on adding one more piece to the puzzle.
Lingard spent most of his career at Manchester United before embarking on a loan spell at West Ham United during the 2020/21 season.
During his time with the Hammers, Lingard made a remarkable impact, netting nine goals in just 16 appearances.
He was training with West Ham this summer, and many people thought he’d join the Hammers, but he opted against the move.
West Ham manager David Moyes has expressed no disappointment at the prospect of Lingard continuing his career in Saudi Arabia, suggesting a degree of understanding between the parties involved.
As Lingard’s trial with Al-Ettifaq unfolds, the outcome of the negotiations could dictate whether he will secure his desired move to the Saudi Pro League or price himself out of a deal.
- Overrated & Underrated in 2023 – Aston Villa, Arsenal, Liverpool and more
- Bundesliga Weekly: All the action as Frankfurt humiliate Bayern, Leverkusen & Stuttgart draw
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic returns to AC Milan as advisor & RedBird partner
- Arsenal in 2023: Best Player, Best XI, Best Goal & More
- Liverpool keen to sign Maximilian Beier, £25m summer transfer likely
- Girona smash Barcelona to top La Liga: Can they win the league?
- The six best Premier League signings of the season so far
- Manchester City back on track after 2-1 victory over Luton Town
- Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal: Bailey goal extends Villains’ unbeaten home run
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree