Roberto De Zerbi didn’t pick the 26-year-old in the starting XI today in a rather surprising move.
However, the Italian manager introduced him in the second half, which proved to be a brilliant decision.
The score was 1-1 with a fortuitous own-goal from Milos Kerkez cancelling out Dominic Solanke’s 25th-minute strike.
The Seagulls haven’t had many bright moments up until that point, but Mitoma made an immediate impact.
The talented winger netted within seconds of his introduction, finishing past Neto after receiving the ball from Mahmoud Dahoud.
Mitouma added another on 77 minutes, nodding home an excellent cross from Pervis Estupiñán.
In his 52 minutes on the pitch, Mitoma had 22 touches, won two ground duels and had two shots on target.
Mitoma has been excellent since he made his senior debut last season.
He started 24 league matches last term, helping his side finish sixth to qualify for the Europa League.
In 41 appearances across all competitions, he registered ten goals and contributed eight assists.
The Japanese star has also made a solid start to the new campaign, registering three goals and three assists in seven appearances.
- Bundesliga Weekly: Dortmund & Leverkusen share the spoils, Leipzig re-enter the title race
- Man United to ratify Sir Jim Ratcliffe stake purchase next week
- Newcastle’s top four hopes take huge hit with Nick Pope out for five months
- Stats prove Man City’s Rodri has been far better than Arsenal’s Declan Rice this season
- Manchester City’s title defence gets tougher as Arsenal and Liverpool soar
- Euro 2024 Power Rankings – Who are the early favourites in Germany?
- FA Cup third round draw: Arsenal face Liverpool, Tottenham host Burnley
- European Championship 2024 draw: England, Scotland, France & Germany discover group stage opponents
- Can Salah close the gap on Haaland in the Premier League Golden Boot race?
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager