Son’s existing contract will expire at the end of next season. However, the club can prolong his stay by at least one additional year and they want to capitalise on this opportunity.
While the option has yet to be officially activated, there is a mutual understanding between the club and the South Korean international that it will be triggered in due course.
Tottenham will likely defer the formal activation of the extension until the end of the current season.
Despite their seemingly relaxed stance, they are committed to securing Son’s long-term presence in the squad but don’t want to cause any distractions.
This development comes after a turbulent Tottenham summer transfer window that saw them reluctantly part ways with Harry Kane, who had only a year remaining on his contract.
The English striker’s move to Bayern Munich was one of the sagas of the transfer window.
Spurs supporters can now breathe a sigh of relief knowing that they will not confront a similar situation regarding Son.
Son has started the current season in stellar form under the new manager Ange Postecoglou.
His standout performance came when he scored a memorable hat-trick against Burnley, underscoring his importance to the team.
Following Kane’s departure and the demotion of goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, Postecoglou entrusted Son with the captain’s armband.
With this contract extension option, Tottenham can secure the services of one of their most cherished players.
The Spurs faithful can look forward to witnessing more of Son’s magic on the pitch, with his future firmly aligned with the club.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?