Inter Miami star Lionel Messi’s return to action against Toronto last night was cut short in the 37th minute due to an apparent injury.
Despite the Argentine’s departure, Miami claimed an emphatic 4-0 success in front of their home crowd.
Robert Taylor scored a brace, while Facundo Farias and Benjamin Cremaschi were also on target for the home side.
The victory boosts their hopes of making it to the Major League Soccer play-offs.
Messi wasn’t part of the squad against Atlanta United, which ended in a 5-2 defeat for Miami. He also missed their 3-2 win over Sporting Kansas City earlier this month.
According to head coach Gerardo Martino, the 36-year-old couldn’t play at Atlanta due to muscle fatigue.
However, his discomfort on the pitch during Wednesday’s match suggested he has been dealing with a right leg injury.
Miami fans will hope it is fatigue and they can have their star back very soon.
The 36-year-old has made a massive difference for the Herons since arriving at the DRV PNK Stadium in late July.
They haven’t lost a single game in which the forward featured for them.
He has scored 11 goals and provided five assists in 11 appearances across all competitions.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?