The 34-year-old has less than 12 months left on the two-year contract he signed when he joined the Nerazzurri from Serie A rivals AS Roma last summer.
Inter are reluctant to wait until the latter stages of the season before opening contract talks with the club keen to retain his signature.
Simone Inzaghi, who considers the former Manchester United man a key part of his tactical set-up, is reportedly the driving force behind talks of a new deal.
Since joining the Nerazzurri last summer, Mkhitaryan has racked up 53 appearances in an Inter shirt, racking up seven goals and providing a further three assists.
He scored five times and laid on two assists last season as Inzaghi’s side raced to a domestic double after lifting the Coppa Italia and Supercopa Italiana titles.
Mkhitaryan also played a crucial role in Inter’s Champions League campaign, helping the three-time European champions to the final of the prestigious tournament before losing out to Manchester City.
The former Arsenal forward has already begun the 2023/24 season in fine form, clocking up two goals and an assist in four Serie A outings.
His impressive form has contributed to Inter’s lightening start to the season, with Inzaghi’s side winning all four of their league games so far, scoring 13 times and conceding just once.
While Inter are more than willing to keep Mkhitaryan longer than next summer, they are likely to offer the player a one-year contract extension with an option for an additional 12 months.
Whether the new deal will come with a pay rise remains to be seen, but the player is likely to be offered an identical salary package as his current deal.
However, Mkhitaryan has shown a willingness to continue representing the Nerazzurri and contacts with his agent Rafaela Pimenta will kick off soon.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?