Speaking after the game, Milan manager Stefano Pioli played down the issue, stating that the French goalkeeper has sustained a flexor injury.
According to Calciomercato.com, the outcome of the MRI scans has shown that Maignan has suffered only flexor injury, and there are no lesions.
Although the timeline of his recovery hasn’t been determined, Milan will breathe a huge sigh of relief after learning that the injury isn’t as bad as feared.
Maignan’s participation in the weekend’s Serie A clash against Hellas Verona remains doubtful.
Marco Sportiello deputised for Maignan against Newcastle, and he will continue to do so until the Frenchman returns.
Maignan missed a large chunk of games for Milan last season with injuries, and his absence reflected in the results, with the Rossoneri failing to lift any trophies.
The French shot-stopper has now grown into one of the best keepers in the world, playing a pivotal role in the club’s Serie A triumph in the 2021/22 season.
Maignan was also the subject of interest from Premier League giants Chelsea during the summer, but he declared his commitment to Stefano Pioli’s side.
The Rossoneri are also reportedly planning to hand him a contract extension with a pay rise to ward off interested clubs.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek also picked up a knock last night, but he later revealed that it was only a cramp.
Milan’s perfect start to the season ended in the humiliating derby defeat against Inter Milan over the weekend.
Their start in the Champions League hasn’t gone in the desired way either, as the draw against Magpies leaves Milan with an arduous task of surviving the group of death that also contains Paris Saint-Germain and Borussia Dortmund.
- Bundesliga Weekly: Dortmund & Leverkusen share the spoils, Leipzig re-enter the title race
- Man United to ratify Sir Jim Ratcliffe stake purchase next week
- Newcastle’s top four hopes take huge hit with Nick Pope out for five months
- Stats prove Man City’s Rodri has been far better than Arsenal’s Declan Rice this season
- Manchester City’s title defence gets tougher as Arsenal and Liverpool soar
- Euro 2024 Power Rankings – Who are the early favourites in Germany?
- FA Cup third round draw: Arsenal face Liverpool, Tottenham host Burnley
- European Championship 2024 draw: England, Scotland, France & Germany discover group stage opponents
- Can Salah close the gap on Haaland in the Premier League Golden Boot race?
- Morning Mix: Kelleher must shine for Liverpool, time running out for Burnley manager