The La Liga giants are looking to tie down De Jong on reduced terms, as was the case with the goalkeeper.
Speculation about the Dutch midfielder’s exit has died down as he has grown into one of the untouchable figures in the Catalans’ squad.
Arriving from Ajax for a lucrative fee worth €75 million in 2019, De Jong often found himself under scrutiny due to his lack of consistency.
De Jong’s transfer saga dominated the headlines as Barca tried to cash in on him amid interest from Manchester United, only for the midfielder to declare his commitment to the Catalan giants.
The 26-year-old silenced the critics with a string of impressive performances, which proved instrumental in Barca’s La Liga triumph last season.
With Sergio Busquets bidding farewell to his long-time club this summer, De Jong’s importance has grown even further, with manager Xavi repeatedly hailing him as one of the best midfielders in the world.
Teaming up with Oriol Romeu has helped De Jong, as the Netherlands international has the license to roam further up the field while the former Girona star offers protection in the back.
Despite Barca’s intentions, De Jong’s entourage feels there is no hurry to discuss a new deal as the Dutchman’s current contract runs until 2026.
De Jong has started the new season on a high note, producing exceptional performances in each of Barca’s three victories, including a goal against Villarreal.
- Aston Villa mark European return with shocking 3-2 defeat to Legia Warszawa
- Nunez, Salah & Diaz secure Liverpool comeback win over LASK after early scare
- Tottenham to trigger Son contract extension to avoid another Kane situation
- Ineffective Man Utd star should be dropped for Burnley clash
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’