Al-Ittihad suffered a blow during their Saudi Pro League encounter with Al-Wehda on Monday as Karim Benzema was forced off with a suspected hamstring injury.
The 35-year-old went down in the first half of the match and was given treatment on the field.
But he couldn’t continue playing with manager Nuno Espirito Santo replacing him with Jota.
The game was goalless at that point, with both teams squandering some brilliant opportunities.
However, Romarinho broke the deadlock with a superb shot from outside the box on 63 minutes.
The visitors soon added another as a great pass from Igor Coronado found Jota who netted an excellent finish.
The Brazilian attacking midfielder got on the scoresheet after 73 minutes as Al-Ittihad ran out 3-0 winners.
The Tigers have made an impressive start to the new campaign, winning all their first four matches to be top of the standings.
However, Benzema’s injury will be a blow for the defending champions as he has been a key member of their team.
The former Real Madrid star has scored once and assisted twice in his first four matches since signing on a free transfer earlier this summer.
They will hope the striker’s injury is not severe and he returns to action soon, with title contenders Al-Hilal their next opponents.
- Premier League wages: Man City & Man Utd stars top the salary charts
- Arsenal to offload fringe players in pursuit of Brentford’s Ivan Toney as Bees renew Barclays borrowing
- Women’s Super League 2023/24: Can anyone stop Chelsea winning five-in-a-row?
- Football agents in the UK stall FIFA’s salary cap regulations
- Chelsea monitoring Osimhen situation amid rift with Napoli