Southampton have confirmed Nathan Tella has completed a transfer to German club Bayer Leverkusen.
The 24-year-old joined the Saints’ academy from Arsenal in 2017, earning his competitive debut three years later against Norwich City.
He was never a regular for the Hampshire side but made 44 appearances in all competitions during his six years at the club.
He registered 17 goals and created five assists in 39 Championship appearances for the Clarets.
Tella featured three times for Southampton this term, but he wasn’t part of the squad in their 2-1 win over Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
He has now joined Leverkusen in a reported £20 million deal, per BBC Sport.
In a statement on their website, the Saints conceded they are disappointed to lose Tella but felt the offer represented fair value for him.
Manager Russell Martin has already lost several key players this summer following the club’s relegation to the Championship.
Tino Livramento joined Newcastle United, while James Ward-Prowse and Romeo Lavia moved to West Ham United and Chelsea respectively.
However, Southampton have still made an impressive start to the new campaign, winning three of their four matches to be only two points behind table toppers Leicester City.
- Aston Villa mark European return with shocking 3-2 defeat to Legia Warszawa
- Nunez, Salah & Diaz secure Liverpool comeback win over LASK after early scare
- Tottenham to trigger Son contract extension to avoid another Kane situation
- Ineffective Man Utd star should be dropped for Burnley clash
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’