Manchester United midfielder Mason Mount has been sidelined with a minor injury and will be out of action until after the international break, the club has confirmed.
Mount picked up the knock during last weekend’s 2-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur in London.
The ex-Chelsea man lasted 85 minutes before being replaced by Facundo Pellistri, who will be hoping to make his mark at the Theatre of Dreams this season.
“Mason Mount is set to miss Saturday’s game against Nottingham Forest due to an injury picked up in last weekend’s encounter with Tottenham Hotspur,” Man United’s statement read.
“The small complaint is expected to keep Mount out until the international break next month.”
Mount switched Chelsea for Man United earlier this summer in a deal that set the Red Devils back £55 million, but they are yet to reap the rewards of their investment.
The England international made his competitive debut for Erik ten Hag’s side in the narrow 1-0 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers in their Premier League curtain raiser.
Mount spent 68 minutes on the pitch in what was an unspectacular debut, and his performance was largely identical in the unsavoury defeat to Spurs last weekend.
The Englishman has come under heavy scrutiny for his performances in a Man United shirt, but a significant portion of the blame can also be attributed to Ten Hag’s tactical set-up.
The Dutchman has utilised Mount in a deeper role since he landed at Old Trafford despite doing most of the damage for Chelsea at the top end of the pitch.
Perhaps the arrival of a new central midfielder before the end of the month could relieve Mount of his makeshift role and push him into attacking areas where he can be more effective.
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’
- FIFA Rankings: Argentina retain top spot ahead of France, Brazil & England, Germany continue to fall
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Sociedad’s dominance, Inzaghi’s questionable decisions, Martinez comes up clutch – Takeaways from Inter Milan’s draw vs Real Sociedad
- Inter Miami star Messi leaves Toronto game with injury