Roma are waiting until the final hours of the transfer window before making their move for the Belgian international.
Sporting director Tiago Pinto knows a deal for Lukaku will be expensive, with the Blues looking to collect a big fee for their former record signing.
He also commands massive wages and must take a pay cut to join the club.
The Giallorossi will push for Lukaku in the final hours of the window, and CEO Lina Souloukou will travel to London soon to speak to Chelsea.
Chelsea are stuck with Lukaku, who does not have many clubs lining up for him after burning crucial bridges.
Inter Milan wanted to sign him permanently after his loan, but the deal collapsed because he had been talking to Juventus.
However, Juve do not have the money to fund a move for him and tried to convince Chelsea to give them £30 million and Lukaku for Dusan Vlahovic.
Tottenham Hotspur have been showing interest in the former Manchester United striker but are yet to make a move.
Roma will hope that no club will push for Lukaku now. They plan to move in the final hours of the transfer window when Chelsea have limited options.
They are close to sealing a deal with Atalanta to sign Duvan Zapata. The Colombian attacker is ready to join the Roman side.
The Giallorossi have been trying to add a striker to Jose Mourinho’s squad, with the manager even more desperate for one after Tammy Abraham’s long-term injury.
If all goes according to plan, he could have some excellent options after seeing his side lose out on Alvaro Morata and Marcos Leonardo.
- Ineffective Man Utd star should be dropped for Burnley clash
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’
- FIFA Rankings: Argentina retain top spot ahead of France, Brazil & England, Germany continue to fall
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Sociedad’s dominance, Inzaghi’s questionable decisions, Martinez comes up clutch – Takeaways from Inter Milan’s draw vs Real Sociedad