The Belgian may require surgery on his hamstring, putting him at risk of missing out on the rest of 2023.
Without the services of one of their key players for an extended period, City are now desperately looking to sign a new midfielder.
They looked fine on Saturday when they edged Newcastle United 1-0 at the Etihad Stadium.
But more tricky fixtures await them in the coming months, with all the matches available to watch via Man City live streams.
According to Relevo journalist Matteo Moretto, the Citizens have enquired about Bayer Leverkusen’s Florian Wirtz.
The 20-year-old has made massive progress in the last few years, posting over 100 appearances in all competitions.
The attacking midfielder has scored 25 goals and registered 30 assists for the Bundesliga outfit.
Wirtz was even better than De Bruyne in terms of progressive carries, forward passes and defensive actions last season.
However, the Belgium international’s numbers were superior for progressive passes, duels won and key passes.
Wirtz still has four years left on his contract at the Bay Arena and Man City will not find it easy to sign him.
They will have to pay a huge transfer fee to seal a move for the young midfielder.
Stats from datamb.football.
- Premier League wages: Man City & Man Utd stars top the salary charts
- Arsenal to offload fringe players in pursuit of Brentford’s Ivan Toney as Bees renew Barclays borrowing
- Women’s Super League 2023/24: Can anyone stop Chelsea winning five-in-a-row?
- Football agents in the UK stall FIFA’s salary cap regulations
- Chelsea monitoring Osimhen situation amid rift with Napoli