With January arrival Alex Moreno currently ruled out through injury, Villa are in the market for a new left-back and have prioritised signing Acuna from Sevilla.
However, they are not putting all their eggs in one basket and are also keeping tabs on Tavares.
Tavares spent last season on loan at Olympique Marseille, where he impressed, but the Ligue 1 outfit opted against a permanent move and snapped up Renan Lodi instead.
Nottingham Forest recently expressed interest in signing Tavares, but negotiations between the two parties have since broken down, leaving the Portuguese player uncertain of his immediate future.
Even though there is still a chance Tavares stays at Arsenal to fill in at left back after Jurrien Timber’s injury and Kieran Tierney’s rumoured, Tavares is expected to leave, at least temporarily.
However, his agent Cesar Boaventura has claimed the 23-year-old wants to stay at the Emirates Stadium.
“Nuno is still under contract at Arsenal – he wants to stay in the team,” Boaventura told Turkish journalist Tibet Tore.
“We’ll see what happens in the future.”
A move to Villa Park could now represent his best exit route amid interest from several Italian and German clubs.
Villa need reinforcements at the back, having shipped five in the Premier League curtain-raiser against Newcastle United last weekend.
They will be keen to bounce back in their first home game of the season on Sunday when they host Everton.
- Aston Villa mark European return with shocking 3-2 defeat to Legia Warszawa
- Nunez, Salah & Diaz secure Liverpool comeback win over LASK after early scare
- Tottenham to trigger Son contract extension to avoid another Kane situation
- Ineffective Man Utd star should be dropped for Burnley clash
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’