Liverpool are on the verge of announcing the signing of Wataru Endo after reaching an agreement with VfB Stuttgart.
According to Sport Bild reporter Tobi Altschaffl, the two clubs have agreed on an initial €20 million fee plus €5m in add-ons for the 30-year-old.
The Reds were under huge pressure after they missed out on their key targets Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia to Chelsea.
However, they have acted quickly and now are set to wrap up a deal for Wataru Endo.
The defensive midfielder will likely miss around six matches for Liverpool due to the Asian Cup that is scheduled to start in January.
Despite the imminent arrival of Endo, the Merseyside club will be looking for more additions in midfield.
They have already lost Fabinho, Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the summer transfer window.
Liverpool are targeting Bayern Munich’s Ryan Gravenberch and Fiorentina star Sofyan Ambrabat.
United manager Erik ten Hag is a huge admirer of the 26-year-old, but they are yet to make a concrete offer for him.
That has allowed Liverpool to enter the race, and they are the most likely candidates to secure his signature.
- Premier League wages: Man City & Man Utd stars top the salary charts
- Arsenal to offload fringe players in pursuit of Brentford’s Ivan Toney as Bees renew Barclays borrowing
- Women’s Super League 2023/24: Can anyone stop Chelsea winning five-in-a-row?
- Football agents in the UK stall FIFA’s salary cap regulations
- Chelsea monitoring Osimhen situation amid rift with Napoli