Inter Milan have set their sights on Atalanta centre-back Giorgio Scalvini ahead of a potential move this summer, claims Sky Sport Italia.
Having recently announced the arrival of striker Marko Arnautovic from Bologna, Inter are planning to strengthen their defence before the end of the transfer window.
Yann Bisseck has already been brought in this window, but the Nerazzurri want to add a defender with top-flight experience to their ranks.
Merih Demiral was on the top of Inter’s wishlist, but he is now on the cusp of joining Saudi giants Al-Ahli.
Inter have now turned their attention towards Demiral’s Atalanta teammate Giorgio Scalvini, who has been on their radar for a long time.
The 19-year-old enjoyed an impressive breakout campaign last season to earn the status of one of the most promising youngsters in Europe.
Considered the future of Italy, Scalvini already has four international caps to his name.
However, La Dea are determined to keep hold of the Italian as they look to raise the bar in Serie A this season.
With Demiral, Duvan Zapata and Luis Muriel nearing the exit door, and Rasmus Hojlund sold to Manchester United, the Bergamo outfit do not want to weaken their squad further.
Scalvini is rated at around €40 million, which makes him a far-fetched target for Inter, who have already splashed the cash on a host of players this summer.
Chelsea’s Trevoh Chalobah is also on their radar.
Simone Inzaghi’s side will face Monza in their opening game of Serie A this Sunday.
- Ineffective Man Utd star should be dropped for Burnley clash
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’
- FIFA Rankings: Argentina retain top spot ahead of France, Brazil & England, Germany continue to fall
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Sociedad’s dominance, Inzaghi’s questionable decisions, Martinez comes up clutch – Takeaways from Inter Milan’s draw vs Real Sociedad