Ajax have signed striker Chuba Akpom from Middlesbrough for a €12.3 million transfer fee plus performance-related add-ons.
Akpom’s rise to prominence last season was intriguing, with the forward bagging 29 goals across 42 matches in all competitions.
His talismanic performances helped Middlesbrough to reach the Championship play-offs, but they were knocked out by Coventry City.
Akpom progressed through Arsenal’s youth system before embarking on a series of underwhelming loan moves.
He joined PAOK in 2018, before signing for Middlesbrough a couple of years later. He was loaned back to the Greek outfit in 2021 but returned to Teesside the following summer.
Akpom shone under manager Michael Carrick and his excellent form has earned him a move to the Eredivisie.
After a disappointing campaign for Ajax, the striker’s mission will be to guide the club back to the top of the Dutch league.
Ajax finished third in the Eredivisie and crashed out in the Champions League group stage last term. They also fell short in the Dutch Cup.
They have been rebuilding for the new season with several changes on and off the pitch.
Ajax have reportedly agreed a deal in principle with Viborg FF for highly-rated right back Anton Gaaei. They will sign the starlet for €2 million.
The 20-year-old has been hailed as a top talent and earned admiration for being reliable at both ends of the pitch.
- Football agents in the UK stall FIFA’s salary cap regulations
- Chelsea monitoring Osimhen situation amid rift with Napoli
- Victor Osimhen threatens legal action against Napoli over mockery
- Marseille close to appointing Gennaro Gattuso as the new manager
- Chelsea receive Premier League green light for Infinite Athlete to become their shirt sponsor