Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich have set a €45-50 million price tag on defender Benjamin Pavard, per Bild.
The Bavarian giants are trying to fend United off but know the player is keen on the Premier League move after telling Die Rekordmeister he wants to leave.
United are only looking to go as high as €35m and will hope that Pavard’s desire to join them will help them secure the move.
United boss Erik ten Hag ideally wants four central defenders on the books.
If Maguire leaves, they would have Lisandro Martinez, Raphael Varane and Victor Lindelof remaining. They also have Jonny Evans on a short-term deal.
Man United face a fight to prise Pavard away from Bayern, and the Germans will be stubborn after missing out on Manchester City’s Kyle Walker.
Walker decided to stay with the treble winners, and Bayern have not pushed for any other targets.
Bayern want to keep Pavard but know he will leave next summer for free as he wants a change of scenery.
It remains to be seen if United can secure their top defensive target, but they are still in the race.
United kick off their Premier League campaign this evening with a home game against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
- Fulham 0-2 Chelsea: Mudryk & Broja strike to earn Blues their second league win of the season
- Champions League: Laurent Robert wants to see PSG and Newcastle secure last-16 spot
- Liverpool & VAR: The stench of entitlement is off the scale
- Preview: Napoli vs Real Madrid – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Lens vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups