However, he chose Chelsea and will sign a six-year deal until 2029. The Blues can extend the contract for another year.
Washington is a highly-regarded talent who made his senior team debut this year. He has bagged two goals in 16 appearances.
He will join fellow Santos youth graduate Angelo Gabriel at Chelsea. The pair are expected to link up at Chelsea’s sister club RC Strasbourg in France.
The Ligue 1 club, managed by Patrick Vieira, is set to act as a talent pipeline.
Another Chelsea youngster, Lesley Ugochukwu, could join them. Chelsea signed Ugochukwu from Rennes for €27 million this summer, but he could return to France on loan.
The Blues have spent millions acquiring highly-rated youngsters from around Europe and South America since the arrival of Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital at Stamford Bridge last season.
They have spent over £50 million to sign Kendry Paez, Ugochukwu, Angelo Gabriel, Washington and Diego Moreira this summer.
However, the youngsters are not ready to start delivering for the two-time Champions League winners, who still need senior reinforcements.
They are yet to sign a defensive midfielder and need another attacker. They could also be in the market for a goalkeeper, with Bayern Munich targeting Kepa Arrizabalaga.
Chelsea are in talks for Moises Caicedo and Tyler Adams. They reportedly have goalkeepers Giorgi Mamardashvili and Gregor Kobel on their radar to replace Arrizabalaga.
- Premier League wages: Man City & Man Utd stars top the salary charts
- Arsenal to offload fringe players in pursuit of Brentford’s Ivan Toney as Bees renew Barclays borrowing
- Women’s Super League 2023/24: Can anyone stop Chelsea winning five-in-a-row?
- Football agents in the UK stall FIFA’s salary cap regulations
- Chelsea monitoring Osimhen situation amid rift with Napoli