Josip Sutalo is on the verge of joining Ajax from Dinamo Zagreb for around €20 million, according to Johan Inan.
The Amsterdam giants are in the market for defensive reinforcement after losing Calvin Bassey and Jurrien Timber this summer.
Sutalo broke through from Dinamo Zagreb’s academy after joining them in 2014 and made his senior team debut in 2020.
He has since become an integral part of their squad, making 74 appearances for the club.
Sutalo made 27 appearances in the Croatian League last term, helping them keep ten clean sheets. He also made six appearances in the Champions League.
The Croatian international has earned eight caps for the national team and was part of Zlatko Dalic’s squad for the 2022 World Cup. He could now become Ajax’s sixth summer signing.
The record-time Eredivisie champions have signed Carlos Borges from Manchester City and goalkeeper Diant Ramaj to replace the retiring Maarten Stekelenburg.
They have also picked up Benjamin Tahirovic, Jakov Medic and free agent Branco van den Boomen.
Ajax have faced criticism for their sluggishness in the market, especially after losing Dusan Tadic, Timber, Bassey and Florian Grillitsch.
There were links between Arsenal and Sutalo, but they have since added Timber to their squad and have completed their defensive signings in the transfer market.
RB Leipzig reportedly considered him to replace countryman Josko Gvardiol, but they are in advanced talks to sign Castello Lukeba.
Sutalo will now head to the Eredivisie, hoping to continue his development and carry his success from Croatia to a bigger stage.
- Ineffective Man Utd star should be dropped for Burnley clash
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’
- FIFA Rankings: Argentina retain top spot ahead of France, Brazil & England, Germany continue to fall
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Sociedad’s dominance, Inzaghi’s questionable decisions, Martinez comes up clutch – Takeaways from Inter Milan’s draw vs Real Sociedad