Paris Saint-Germain attacker Neymar has reportedly expressed his desire to leave the reigning Ligue 1 champions this summer.
According to L’Equipe, the Brazilian forward informed the PSG management about his decision following his return to action after a four-month absence due to ankle ligament surgery.
Neymar’s return to the team during their pre-season tour of Asia hinted at a revival in the French capital under Luis Enrique.
However, the 31-year-old wants to leave the club following a protest by PSG’s Ultras outside his home earlier this year.
The incident left a lasting impact on the Brazilian star. The former Santos man believes the club does not provide enough protection for players and wants to leave France.
Neymar reportedly has his heart set on a return to his former club Barcelona. The Catalans are open to welcoming him back with open arms.
He still has two years remaining on his contract with PSG and earns €30 million annually, which will likely be too much for the Catalans.
The announcement of Neymar’s desire to leave comes days after his outstanding performance in PSG’s final pre-season match, in which he was their standout player.
PSG tried to ditch Neymar last summer, but he stayed at the club. He showed renewed motivation and was in terrific form before a horrific ankle injury required him to go under the knife.
Only time will tell if Neymar’s wishes come to fruition and if he secures a return to the Blaugrana after leaving them six years ago.
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Sociedad’s dominance, Inzaghi’s questionable decisions, Martinez comes up clutch – Takeaways from Inter Milan’s draw vs Real Sociedad
- Inter Miami star Messi leaves Toronto game with injury
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Man United: Player ratings as struggling Devils fall short in seven-goal thriller
- Bukayo Saka nets on his Champions League debut as Arsenal thrash PSV Eindhoven 4-0