AS Monaco have surged ahead of West Ham United in the race to secure the signature of Juventus midfielder Denis Zakaria.
The 26-year-old Swiss international had been on West Ham’s radar as a potential replacement for defensive midfielder Declan Rice,
Zakaria caught the attention of several top clubs in England and abroad following his loan spell at Chelsea last season.
The Geneva-born midfielder is a colossal figure who can win the ball back with his overwhelming physicality before driving forward, muscling opponents out of his way.
Monaco have emerged as the favourites to land the former Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder ahead of West Ham, RC Lens, Stade Rennais and RC Strasbourg.
A deal worth around €20 million is on the verge of being finalised, pending Zakaria’s approval.
The ball lies firmly in the player’s court as he contemplates plying his trade in Ligue 1.
It remains unclear whether the Swiss international will be a partner or a replacement for the potentially departing Youssouf Fofana.
The French midfielder had been linked with an exit from the club during this transfer window, but no concrete offers have been made.
- Aston Villa mark European return with shocking 3-2 defeat to Legia Warszawa
- Nunez, Salah & Diaz secure Liverpool comeback win over LASK after early scare
- Tottenham to trigger Son contract extension to avoid another Kane situation
- Ineffective Man Utd star should be dropped for Burnley clash
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’