Newcastle United midfielder Bruno Guimaraes is on the verge of putting pen to paper on a new deal with the club, according to Chronicle Live.
Since moving to St James’ Park in January 2022 from Olympique Lyon, Guimaraes has been a standout performer for Newcastle and recently earned a spot on the substitutes’ bench in this season’s Premier League team of the year.
Unsurprisingly, the Brazilian is attracting interest from Real Madrid after holding talks with the reigning European champions last summer.
However, Guimaraes has since stated his desire to make history with his current employers despite labelling Madrid ‘the best team in the world.’
“I never doubted the project – I believe in it,” he told the Chronicle.
“I always wanted to play in the Premier League and I am now just enjoying that.
“The ground loves me and I love them. I want to keep going. I want to be a legend here.
“Real Madrid is the best team in the world – it is nice, but it is just a conversation. It is nothing.”
While he still has just over three years left on his current deal on Tyneside which expires in 2026, Newcastle are looking to tie Guimaraes down even further.
Alongside record signing Alexander Isak, Guimaraes is Newcastle’s joint-highest earner with a weekly wage of £120,000, but that is expected to increase by at least 50% if he signs a new contract.
With Champions League football all but secured, Newcastle will be keen to keep hold of their biggest stars as they prepare to return to Europe’s premier club competition for the first time since 2002.
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’
- FIFA Rankings: Argentina retain top spot ahead of France, Brazil & England, Germany continue to fall
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Sociedad’s dominance, Inzaghi’s questionable decisions, Martinez comes up clutch – Takeaways from Inter Milan’s draw vs Real Sociedad
- Inter Miami star Messi leaves Toronto game with injury