West Ham United have reportedly launched a £25 million bid to sign Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse.
The 28-year-old made 45 appearances across all competitions last season but couldn’t help his side stay in the Premier League.
He is now expected to leave his boyhood club in this transfer window with the Hammers eager to sign him.
According to The Telegraph, West Ham have lodged an opening bid worth around £25m to sign the experienced midfielder.
They lost Declan Rice to Arsenal in a £105m move earlier this month and are reportedly looking to bring in several midfielders.
Ward-Prowse, who mainly plays in central midfield, has been one of the best players for the Saints since he broke into the first team in 2012-13.
He played an instrumental role in helping his side stay in the Premier League, posting over 400 appearances in the last 11 years.
Ward-Prowse will likely be a big hit at the London Stadium if the Irons secure a deal for him.
However, it looks likely Southampton will turn down their opening bid as they reportedly want £40m to let him leave this summer.
The 28-year-old has three years left on his current contract at St Mary’s, having penned his previous deal in 2021.
West Ham hoped to smooth negotiations over a move for the England international by letting Flynn Downes move to the Hampshire outfit.
The Saints only want a straight cash deal for their captain.
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’
- FIFA Rankings: Argentina retain top spot ahead of France, Brazil & England, Germany continue to fall
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Sociedad’s dominance, Inzaghi’s questionable decisions, Martinez comes up clutch – Takeaways from Inter Milan’s draw vs Real Sociedad
- Inter Miami star Messi leaves Toronto game with injury