Southampton have reportedly turned down a £37 million transfer offer from Liverpool for Romeo Lavia.
The 19-year-old joined the Saints from Manchester City last summer and hit the ground running at St Mary’s.
He made 29 appearances in the Premier League last term but couldn’t help his side avoid relegation to the Championship.
However, Liverpool leading the race for the Belgium international.
The Reds made a £37m bid to sign the defensive midfielder but the offer was rejected by Southampton, per The Athletic’s David Ornstein.
The Championship club reportedly want around £50m to let the promising midfielder leave the club.
The Merseyside giants have already signed Alexis Mac Allister and Dominik Szoboszlai in the summer transfer window.
But they are looking to bring in more midfield reinforcements, with Jordan Henderson and Fabinho expected to depart.
Liverpool endured a highly disappointing 2022-23 campaign as they finished fifth in the Premier League to miss out on Champions League qualification.
They have offloaded several ageing players, but their transfer business is far from over as they look to add more players to bolster their ranks.
Liverpool will meet Leicester City this weekend at the Singapore National Stadium as part of their summer pre-season tour.
They won their opening pre-season friendly 4-2 over German outfit Karlsruher but were held to a 4-4 draw by Greuther Furth on Monday.
- Harvey Barnes comes off injured in Newcastle’s match against Sheffield United
- Chelsea 0-1 Aston Villa: Player rating as Watkins hands Villains victory over 10-man Blues
- Mitoma scores twice in Brighton’s 3-1 win over Bournemouth
- Harry Kane scores first hat-trick for Bayern Munich in 7-0 victory over Bochum
- Xavi signs one-year contract extension until 2025