Borussia Dortmund have completed the signing of Marcel Sabitzer from Bayern Munich in a €19 million deal.
Sabitzer is the third new arrival at Dortmund this summer, following the earlier acquisitions of Ramy Bensebaini and Felix Nmecha.
Having struggled for regular game time at Bayern, Sabitzer spent the second half of last season on loan at Manchester United where an injury problem saw him fail to feature in any of the final five games.
While Sabitzer put in a decent shift during his short spell at Old Trafford, it was no surprise to see United opt against a permanent deal for the Austrian.
Sabitzer recently netted five goals in an emphatic 27-0 victory for Bayern against Rottach-Egern, which has now turned out to be his last outing for the Bavarians after the completion of his move to Signal Iduna Park.
“I can hardly wait to finally join the team and wear the BVB jersey,” the midfielder told Dortmund’s official website.
“The talks with the Borussia Dortmund management were outstanding and have shown me how ambitious the club wants to be in the coming years.
“I would like to play my part in ensuring that BVB achieve their objectives and have every reason to celebrate something special with their fans again as soon as possible.”
After a couple of tough seasons at the Allianz Arena, Sabitzer will be keen to rediscover the form he showed for RB Leipzig prior to his switch to Bayern in 2021.
The 29-year-old is expected to debut for his new employers on Friday when they face off against American lower league side San Diego Loyal.
- Ineffective Man Utd star should be dropped for Burnley clash
- Daniel Levy open to selling Tottenham stake in Tottenham for ‘the right money’
- FIFA Rankings: Argentina retain top spot ahead of France, Brazil & England, Germany continue to fall
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Sociedad’s dominance, Inzaghi’s questionable decisions, Martinez comes up clutch – Takeaways from Inter Milan’s draw vs Real Sociedad