Lionel Messi made a spectacular debut for Inter Miami as he scored an injury-time free kick goal to help his side win 2-1 against Cruz Azul in the Leagues Cup.
The World Cup winner was introduced after the break to make his debut at the sold-out DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale on Friday.
Miami were 1-0 ahead at the time of his introduction, but Uriel Antuna’s 65th-minute strike threatened to spoil the party.
But Messi won a free-kick on the edge of the box in stoppage time and curled a stunning winner into the top corner.
The victory ended the Herons’ six-match winless run that included heavy defeats at the hands of Philadelphia and St Louis.
Miami have endured a disappointing 2023 campaign in Major League Soccer, winning just five of their 22 matches to slump to the bottom of the Eastern Conference.
But they have received a considerable boost with Messi’s arrival, with the Argentine superstar making a significant impact on his debut.
Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba have also joined the seven-time Ballon d’Or winner in Miami to help the club make a comeback in the second half of the season.
The 36-year-old ended his two-year stint at Paris Saint-Germain to join Miami in a lucrative deal that will see him earn between $50-60 million annually.
- Romero delivers brutal response to Mac Allister’s claim that Tottenham beat Liverpool with 12 men
- Bayern Munich closing in on shock move to re-sign Jerome Boateng
- Joel Matip mistake costs nine-man Liverpool in Tottenham defeat
- Manchester City stunned by Wolverhampton Wanderers in 2-1 defeat at Molineux Stadium
- Kai Havertz scores as Arsenal thrash Bournemouth 4-0