Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold believes the Merseyside club can challenge Manchester City for the Premier League title next season.
However, he admitted they must be near-perfect to usurp the treble winners.
The Reds finished 22 points behind champions Manchester City last season. A late surge helped them finish fifth and they missed out on Champions League football.
However, Alexander-Arnold believes they can finish in a better position next term.
“We want to be winning the league – we want to be challenging and being in title races and in Champions League football, so to not be in that next season is disappointing,” he said (via Sky Sports).
“We know how to win the league, we know how to challenge City and go toe to toe with them, and you need to be near perfect throughout the season, so for us, that’s where our heads are at.”
Alexander-Arnold believes what they need ahead of next season is consistency. He said they did well against the big teams but became sloppy against smaller teams away from home.
Bournemouth and Wolverhampton Wanderers were among the teams to beat Liverpool last season, and they must improve these results to stand a chance of fighting for the title.
The England international also talked about playing a hybrid midfield role towards the end of last season.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp used him as an inverted full-back to devastating effect. The move sparked the team’s upturn in form.
Alexander-Arnold disclosed that he likes playing at full-back and midfield and is happy to do whatever Klopp wants.
They could still make more signings as they strive to revamp their engine room.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?