The never-ending saga surrounding the long-term future of Paris Saint-Germain superstar Kylian Mbappe could yet deliver another intriguing twist to the tale.
Mbappe delivered a hammer blow to Les Parisiens when he informed the club hierarchy that he has no interest in triggering the extension clause in his contract that would have kept him at Parc des Princes until 2025.
Both parties have been embroiled in a sour game of cat and mouse since then, with Mbappe looking to run down his contract and leave on a free transfer while PSG are desperate to stop that from happening.
PSG chairman Nasser al-Khelaifi has publicly put pressure on Mbappe and his camp, insisting that the player will be sold this summer if he refuses to extend his contract.
While the relationship between both parties continues to deteriorate, it appears PSG are still hopeful of convincing the 24-year-old forward to remain in the capital beyond 2024.
The PSG board are reportedly considering every option to extend their striker’s contract until 2025 in a move that they believe would benefit all parties.
RMC claims that the Ligue 1 champions are ready to draft a more favourable new contract term for Mbappe.
If both parties agree to extend their association, they could establish in writing that they would part ways next year to avoid misinterpretation of verbal agreements.
Mbappe will still earn the entirety of the mammoth contract he signed last year, while the club would pocket an eye-watering transfer fee if both parties severed ties in 2024.
With Mbappe still on holiday, PSG are expected to meet with the player’s representatives to table the terms of their revised deal. The former AS Monaco man is expected to report back for pre-season on Monday.
In their plans to convince Mbappe to stay, PSG could also go through former beIN Media Group executive Ziad Hammoud who is poised to manage KEWJF, the company that manages his image rights.
Hammoud maintains an excellent relationship with Al-Khelaifi and would be an ideal intermediary in the high-stakes attempt to extend Mbappe’s stay at the Parc des Princes.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?