The 24-year-old has been deemed surplus to requirements despite playing a prominent role in Roma’s heartbreaking campaign last season.
Ibanez has been repeatedly linked with a move to the Premier League amid interest from Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United. However, Fulham have now joined the race for the Brazilian defender.
Roma are faced with financial turmoil, and they need to raise funds from player sales to bolster their recruitment plans. Ibanez has emerged as a leading candidate to leave.
Since moving to the Stadio Olimpico in January 2020, Ibanez has established himself as a key member of the first team, cementing his place in the starting line-up alongside Chris Smalling and Gianluca Mancini.
The former Atalanta defender made 48 appearances across all competitions for Jose Mourinho’s side last season.
Mourinho considers Ibanez a central figure in his plans, but the centre-back could be on his way out of Rome with the club needing to balance their books.
Fulham are preparing to lose towering centre-back Tosin Adarabioyo this summer, with the 25-year-old refusing to sign a new contract.
His current deal expires at the end of next season, and Fulham would rather recoup funds from his departure this summer than lose him on a free transfer next year.
Inter Milan are keen on Adarabioyo. They have yet to make an official proposal, but the former Manchester City man would be open to the move as they can offer Champions League football.
Fulham want Ibanez to replace Adarabioyo, but they will face competition from their Premier League counterparts for the €30 million-rated defender.
They were previously interested in Fiorentina centre-back Igor Julio, but Ibanez has become their priority target.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?