However, their rivals Inter Milan hijacked the deal, and he has decided to join the Nerazzurri. He confirmed his decision in a now-deleted social media post.
Milan were keen on securing Thuram, who scored 13 Bundesliga goals last season and assisted another six. But now they will have to watch him play for their rivals.
Nevertheless, they cannot sit around and sulk for too long. They need to sign a striker to replace Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
They may also need another body, with Divock Origi and Ante Rebic possibly leaving this summer.
According to Gianluca Di Marzio, Milan will target West Ham United’s Gianluca Scamacca and Atletico Madrid’s Alvaro Morata.
Scamacca has struggled in England following his big-money transfer to the Premier League last summer. The Hammers will consider a sale.
He managed only eight goals in 27 appearances, failing to deliver for manager David Moyes. The former Genoa and Sassuolo striker has interest from his home country.
Another name on Milan’s target list is Morata. Like Scamacca, he also has Serie A experience. The Spaniard has bounced into Juventus more than once and knows the league well.
Morata scored 13 goals and assisted two more in 36 La Liga appearances last season. However, his finishing remains sketchy.
Milan are also in the market for right-wingers and have set their sights on Villarreal’s Samuel Chukwueze and Arda Guler of Fenerbahce.
They need midfield reinforcements following the departure of Sandro Tonali for Newcastle United.
The seven-time Champions League are interested in Sassuolo’s Davide Frattesi and Udinese’s Lazar Samardzic.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?