The Serie A champions are on the verge of losing Min-jae, who has been linked with Manchester United and Bayern Munich.
The Partenopei face the big task of replacing the 26-year-old, who was instrumental in the club’s fairy tale run last season that saw them end their 33-year wait to clinch the Scudetto.
MIn-jae established himself as one of the best and most tenacious centre-backs in Europe, thus turning the heads of European heavyweights.
Paris Saint-Germain are also in the running to secure his services, but Bayern are rated as the favourites to sign him.
Itakura’s name has cropped up on the radar of the Italian champions following his impressive development in the Bundesliga in recent years.
The former Manchester City player enjoyed a productive loan spell with Schalke in the 2021/22 season before sealing a permanent transfer to Gladbach in a cut-price deal worth €5 million last summer.
Itakura had a mixed season with Gladbach last term. He missed a chunk of games through injury but delivered a string of consistent displays despite the Foals’ overall decline.
The Japanese defender’s performances in the 2022 World Cup didn’t go unnoticed as he was instrumental in the stunning victories over Germany and Spain in the group stage.
Itakura is a complete defender similar to Min-jae – equally good with the ball at his feet and off it.
His contract at Borussia Park expires in 2026, so the ball will be in Gladbach’s court when it comes to setting the transfer fee.
Napoli will likely pocket a chunk of money from Min-jae’s departure and even more if Victor Osimhen also leaves this summer.
Napoli recently announced Rudi Garcia as their new head coach to replace Luciano Spalletti, who parted ways with the Partenopei after just one season.
- Pep Guardiola denies City’s reliance on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?