The 64-year-old still has a contract with Real Madrid until 2024, but the Selecao will wait until the deal expires so he can join them.
CBF president Ednaldo Rodrigues met with the Italian manager in Spain last week.
Ancelotti was the CBF’s first choice to take over as their new coach. Even when he decided to continue with Los Blancos for another season, it did not deter them from pursuing his signature.
However, he cannot sign any contract with Brazil until he has six months left on his deal with Madrid.
He will also determine who will lead the South Americans until he finishes his stint in Madrid.
Ancelotti and Ramon Menezes will choose an interim coach with European experience to manage the Brazil national team until next year.
Menezes is the manager of the Brazil Under-20 side that recently won the South American Youth Championship. He is also the current interim manager of the senior national team.
There will likely not be any official announcement of Ancelotti’s appointment until January.
The CBF first wanted Ancelotti’s son, Davide, to join now and lay the groundwork for his father to come next year.
However, they discarded the idea. They felt it would signal that the manager was not concentrating on his job with the 14-time Champions League winners.
Both men will join at the same time. Brazil have six matches left to play this year.
Ancelotti’s first tournament will likely be the Copa America. He’ll hope to lead his side to qualify for the 2026 World Cup, where they will be favourites.
- Pep Guardiola denies City are reliant on Rodri but the stats disagree
- Preview: Aston Villa vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag scoops Premier League MOTM award
- This Week In Football: Last-minute UWNL drama, Santos relegated & more
- Morning Mix: Arsenal face acid test at Villa, Chelsea boss has no excuses
- Arsenal or Liverpool: Who is better placed to beat Man City to the title?
- Copa America 2024 draw: Argentina to face Chile, Brazil and USMNT discover their groups
- Four reasons PSV Eindhoven are overtaking Ajax on and off the pitch
- Matip out for the rest of the season – what do Liverpool do now?
- How has extra added time changed Premier League results?